Elton's Stuff Productions

Sonic SFM Shenanigans

3 posts in this topic

The intro's a bit long when compared to the rest of the video. Speaking of, the actual "intro" title card you have after the opening text has its own music playing on top of the music you have playing in the background as a backing track, creating a disorienting effect. The actual intro card itself would have been fine if you cut the background music off during that part, but personally I think for as short of a video as this was you could have removed that bit as this is more of a "tech demo" than anything.

Speaking of, as for the actual animation: The first shot where Sonic's getting onto the airboard is VERY stiff and jerk y, with Sonic's movements not meshing up well with the board. However, the second shot where Sonic poses, jumps and curls into a ball, while still a little jerky, is much smoother and looks better than the first shot. My only real complaint with the later is how the arm doesn't look quite... right when it changes from "hand on shoulder" to "ready to jump into action" poses, like the joint bends the wrong way. Keep an eye on how the joints move into position when animating future scenes, it helps.That said, the blue trail effect you have behind Sonic when he's curled into a ball is a very nice touch and I would like to see more of that.

Overall, not a bad first attempt, especially as far as the second scene goes. Focus more on positing and animating Sonic more smoothly by himself before working on interactions with other objects like riding an airboard, but the important thing is to straight-up keep practicing. As far as video making goes, try to keep in mind how long the meat of the video is before adding an intro and mind smaller audio-mixing things like I mentioned.

(Also the extra scene at the end with deformed Sonic as the first time you worked on the project was hilarious)

Hey!

Thanks for the feedback, Yeah I realized the intro thing when I watched it with my headphones on, but by then I already posted it :( as for the size of it I do have a shorter version but I kept the long one in cuz it was an anniversary special.

I'll keep the points about animation in mind, I have actually animated before but it was the first time I used SFM so I guess it threw me off a bit!

And as for the end scene, it's basically me thinking I had to pose the eyes, ears and mouth by hand, rather than using the provided functions :D #SFMNewbFTW